November 3 – 5, 2022
Carolyn Mazloomi’s impressive collection of quilts is being presented at the International Quilt Museum (IQM). We invite you to join us on a coach bus excursion to meet up with her in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Friday, November 4, 2022, to view her exhibition Uncovering Black History: Quilts from the Collection of Carolyn Mazloomi and to attend her lecture at 5:30 pm that evening.
Carolyn Mazloomi is a founding member of Textile Center’s National Artist Advisory Council and was the curator of the 2020-2021 exhibitions We Are the Story, which were co-presented by Textile Center and Women of Color Quilters Network.
The IQM visit will include a behind-the-scenes tour of the museum, as well as the exhibitions Faces by Freddy Moran, Joan Schulze’s Winter of Loss, Water FEATURED: The John M. Walsh III Collection, and New Views: Geeta Khandelwal.
Hosted by Textile Center’s Executive Director Karl Reichert and Program Associate Ceci Lewis, the trip will include an extended stop in Winterset, Iowa, to visit to the Iowa Quilt Museum and view Fiber Art Now – Excellence in Quilts on Thursday, November 3, with time for lunch and shopping at the local quilt and yarn shops.
The three-day trip includes motor coach travel from Textile Center in Minneapolis to Lincoln with a two-night stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites Omaha Southwest-La Vista.
Cost per person: $500 double occupancy / $650 single occupancy
- Round trip motor coach travel
- Two nights hotel (breakfast included)
- International Quilt Museum admission, behind-the-scenes tour, Mazloomi lecture
- Iowa Quilt Museum admission
- Refreshments on bus to and from Nebraska
- A $100 tax-deductible donation to support Textile Center
Lunches and dinners are not included, but we will coordinate options during our travels.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 612-436-0464
Full refunds will be provided up to the October 13, 2022, which is the date we commit to the hotel rooms. Cancellations after that date will be converted to a tax-deductible contribution to Textile Center. During this time of uncertainty due to the pandemic, you may want to explore travel insurance.
We encourage travelers to be fully vaccinated and support masking.
ITINERARY (click here to download a PDF version):
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2022
8 to 8:30 am: Convene at Textile Center (coffee, tea, and treats)
8:30 am: Depart Textile Center
1 pm: Winterset, Iowa
Winterset is a charming town with restaurants, retails shops, and the Iowa Quilt Museum located around the center city square. Winterset is in the heart of Madison County, famous for its six covered bridges.
- Visit Iowa Quilt Museum
- Shop at local quilt and fiber art shops:
- Piece Work Quilt Shop
- Quilt Bugg
- Ben Franklin Variety Store
- Heartland Fiber Co. & Gifts
3:30 pm: Depart Winterset for Omaha, Nebraska
5 pm: Check In: Hampton Inn & Suites Omaha Southwest-La Vista
- Hotel has reception from 5 to 6:30 pm with beverages and snacks
- There are restaurants in walking distance, as well as options for food delivery to hotel.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2022
6 to 9 am: Hot breakfast at hotel
9 am: Bus departs for Lincoln
10 am: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- To start our day in Lincoln, you can choose to visit the Sheldon Museum of Art or the Great Plains Art Museum, which are located near each other on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus.
- Back on the bus at 11:30 am
11:45 am: Historic Haymarket District
- Lincoln’s History Haymarket has many options for dining and shopping!
- We’ll meet bus at 1:30 pm, and head over to International Quilt Museum.
2 pm: International Quilt Museum
- View Exhibitions
- Break out groups for Behind the Scenes tours
- Carolyn Mazloomi’s lecture is at 5:30 pm, with refreshments served
6:45 pm: Bus departs for Omaha
7:30 pm: Arrive at Hampton Inn & Suites Omaha Southwest-La Vista
- Dinner on your own
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2022
6 to 9:30 am: Hot Breakfast at hotel
9:30 am: Depart for Minneapolis
- Will stop to pick up lunch
4 pm: Arrive at Textile Center