It’s time to apply for the second year of our program for McKnight Artist Fellowships in Fiber Arts!
Fiber art is thriving in Minnesota, and the field’s growth as an artistic discipline was validated in 2019 by the McKnight Foundation’s expansion of its McKnight Artist Fellowships Program to include two $25,000 fellowships to be awarded each year to individual midcareer (and beyond!) fiber artists living and working in Minnesota.
The application process through Textile Center opens on Tuesday, September 8, 2020, and will close Friday, November 13, 2020 at 5:00 PM CST. The selection of the two 2021 McKnight Fellowships for Fiber Artists will be announced at the end of 2020.
In addition to the $25,000 unrestricted award in support of their studio work and practice, McKnight Fiber Artist Fellows will receive:
- Critiques/studio visits with three critics from the field. (These are planned as virtual activities for now, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.)
- Exhibition at the end of the fellowship period in the Joan Mondale Gallery at Textile Center.
- Participation in two public discussions that feature fellows and invited critics.
- Professional development support, such as attending conferences, workshops, or marketing or exhibition assistance.
- Photographic documentation of finished work.
- Access to Textile Center’s resources, including library of more than 30,500 books and periodicals, state-of-the-art dye lab, dye garden, and artisan shop opportunities.
- Professional support sessions from consultants at Springboard for the Arts.
The intent of the McKnight Fellowships for Fiber Artists is to recognize and support talented Minnesota fiber and textile artists whose work is of exceptional artistic merit, who have created a substantial, independent body of artwork created over a period of at least 8 years, representing a sustained investigation and maturation of personal creativity, accomplishment, and commitment to the field of fiber art. These fellowships are in support of individual artists who are at a career stage beyond emerging. Fiber Artists, as defined for the purposes of this fellowship, are artists who use textile and fiber arts materials, processes and/or sensibilities in their artistic practice throughout the conception, execution, and resolution of their work.
“Textile Center is honored to serve as its administrative partner for the McKnight Fellowships for Fiber Artists,” says Textile Center Executive Director Karl Reichert. “This fellowship program is an exciting milestone for us, especially as we celebrate the role Textile Center has played in nurturing the field of fiber art in our region.”
“The expansion of the McKnight Artist Fellowships into the area of fiber arts is a tremendous opportunity and acknowledgement for our field,” says Textile Center’s Director for Artistic Advancement Tracy Krumm, who also serves as Textile Center’s program director for the McKnight Fellowships for Fiber Artists. “As a former Visual Arts Fellow, I know that the caliber of work being done in the textile and fiber arts in Minnesota is really strong. The support to fiber and textile artists through these fellowships is a tremendous acknowledgement of our field by the McKnight Foundation. Applying for this incredible funding support means the chance at game-changing opportunities to develop as an artist and become part of the outstanding cohort of McKnight fellows, past and present.”
The application period for the 2021 Fellowships is now open. To be added to our email list for next year’s fellowship information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.