Here are 5 things you might not know about the Textile Center Ellen Erede Wells Dye Lab:
- We have a dye lab training sessions scheduled every month to teach you everything you need to know about renting the lab. Please register in advance!
- If you are a member of Textile Center, you can rent the lab for all of your own messy dye projects. It costs just $45 for the day.
- The dye lab has equipment to make it a safe space for you to work in. This includes 4 ventilation hoods, eye wash station, and fire extinguisher.
- The steam cabinet in the lab can hold 18 yards of fabric and steam it all at once.
- The 40-gallon dye vat in the lab is a re-purposed bagel cooker. The steam jacketed design is ideal for keeping a dye bath at a consistent temperature.
(The fabric above was dyed by Susan Antell who teaches “A Color Wheel in Cotton,” one of the great intro classes for learning about dyes.)