INTERLACE: Adventures in Sashiko – Digital Class • April 21 – June 9
Adult, Adult Classes, Digital Classes, Embroidery + Stitching, Featured Class, INTERLACE
INTERLACE classes are geared towards the 55+ age group, to encourage building of NEW skills and community with a cohort of peers!
Fridays, April 21 – June 9, 2023
1 – 4 pm CT
REGISTRATION CLOSES APRIL 7!
Join us for this EXPANDED sequential 8-Week DIGITAL CLASS via Zoom that presents students with a comprehensive introduction to the world of Sashiko, a form of Japanese embroidery using small basic running stitches to create a background pattern on cloth. It is also used in contemporary textiles as a form of embellishment on cloth, and in the popular form of Boro, it is used as a method of repair by stitching scraps of fabric down with small sashiko stitches.
Learn the basic stitches, work with different types of threads, create your own designs, and experiment with developing your own ideas as you begin to master this stitching process. Students will explore basic principles of art and design that will help them with a foundation to design their own personal project. A kit of selected supplies for the class will be provided to all students, before class begins. Students may need to supplement with additional fabrics and embellishments for their final projects, as they see fit.
(Photos are projects by instructor Sandra Brick and past INTERLACE students!)
What do you need to be prepared for class?
- Computer or laptop, with a reliable internet connection
- Supply kit, pen, pencil, paper, ruler or tape measure, scissors, and iron
- The Zoom application. You will receive a Zoom link in an automated email after you register (separate from your purchase confirmation email). Please make sure you know how to use Zoom. (Click here to view a video tutorial.)
Sandra Brick is a trainer, coach, and educator with over 25 years of experience with the Textile Center as both an instructor and former board member. She has designed and developed 35+ workshops and courses in a diverse range of topics such as fabric dyeing, design theory, beading, creative problem solving, and technology workshops for artists. Brick’s explorations in new materials and techniques have inspired her innovative body of work in surface design, stitching and mixed media, which has been widely exhibited. texturedelements.com
Please reach out to Cristin McKnight Sethi at email@example.com to learn about scholarship options.
- IMPORTANT: Supply kits need to be picked up at Textile Center, OR they can be shipped to you for a $15 flat rate fee as part of the cost of your registration.
- Select an option from the dropdown menu — with either a “shipped supplies” or “curbside pick up” option
- When you check out, please select “CLASS/EVENT: NO SHIPPING CHARGE” in the shopping cart to avoid an extra $8 shipping charge
- SHIPPED SUPPLIES :
- Kits will be shipped to the address on your registration, if you have selected any of the shipping options with your tuition.
- CURBSIDE PICKUP INSTRUCTIONS:
- Kit pick-up will available curbside, at Textile Center, 7 days prior to the first class session. Curbside pickup hours are between 11 am – 3 pm, Tuesday – Saturday.
Director of Education Cristin McKnight Sethi will be in touch with a Zoom link in the week prior to class.
Want to become a member and receive the member price when you register? Click HERE to check out our membership levels, add a membership to the cart, and save 10% on all classes plus other benefits, including supporting a great organization!
$405.00 – $465.00
Due to the nature of digital access to the classes and distribution of supplies, refunds will not be processed if you cancel your registration less than 10 business days before the start of class.
If your notice of withdrawal or tuition transfer is received at least 10 business days before the start of your workshop, you will receive a refund of your workshop payment, minus a $25 non-refundable processing fee.
Member: Shipped supplies, Member: Curbside pick-up for supplies, Nonmember: Shipped supplies, Nonmember: Curbside pick-up for supplies, 25% Scholarship: Shipped supplies, 25% Scholarship: Curbside pick-up for supplies, 50% Scholarship: Shipped supplies, 50% Scholarship: Curbside pick-up for supplies, 75% Scholarship: Shipped supplies, 75% Scholarship: Curbside pick-up for supplies