INTERLACE: Creating a Reliquary – Digital Class • January 18 – March 8
Adult, Adult Classes, Digital Classes
INTERLACE classes are geared towards the 55+ age group, to encourage building of NEW skills and community with a cohort of peers!
Wednesdays, January 18 – March 8, 2023
1 – 4 pm CT
Join us for this EXPANDED sequential 8-Week LIVE DIGITAL class via Zoom that presents students with a challenge to design and construct a reliquary using textiles!
Reliquary structures abound throughout human history in cultural and spiritual practice. Used to conceal or reveal, they express narrative and concept, and are used to hold, to enshrine, to contain power, and to protect. Reliquaries range from personal to architectural. Consider the White House, court houses, houses of worship, museums, monuments, photo albums, scrapbooks, curio cabinets – these are all reliquaries.
In this special workshop, you will use textile materials and learn textile techniques to create imagery, embellish, connect, stitch, and sew your own personal reliquary, focusing on three steps to meet the challenge: developing the concept (your idea for the project), evaluating (abilities, techniques, material appropriateness) and then design and construction of the work. A kit of selected supplies for the class will be provided to all students, before class begins. Students will need to supplement with additional fabrics and embellishments for their final projects, as they see fit. The class will culminate with an exhibition in Textile Center’s Library and Community Galleries. (Shipping fees for works to/from the exhibition are not included in class tuition.)
(Photos: reliquaries by Teaching Artist Ceci Lewis and past INTERLACE students)
What do you need to be prepared for class?
- Computer or laptop, with a reliable internet connection
- IMPORTANT: Supply kits need to be picked up at Textile Center, OR they can be shipped to you for a $25 flat rate fee as part of the cost of your registration.
- Select an option from the dropdown menu — with either a “shipped supplies” or “curbside pick up” option
- IN ANY CASE, when you check out, please select “CLASS/EVENT: NO SHIPPING CHARGE” in the shopping cart to avoid an extra $8 shipping charge
- SHIPPED SUPPLIES :
- Kits will be shipped to the address on your registration, if you have selected any of the shipping options with your tuition.
- CURBSIDE PICKUP INSTRUCTIONS:
- Kit pick-up will available curbside, at Textile Center, 7 days prior to the first class session. Curbside pickup hours are between 11 am – 3 pm, Tuesday – Saturday.
ZOOM LINK will be sent with the email you receive upon registration.
Want to become a member and receive the member price when you register? Click HERE to check out our membership levels, add a membership to the cart, and save 10% on all classes plus other benefits, including supporting a great organization!
$405.00 – $475.00
Withdrawal Policy for Digital Workshops
Due to the nature of digital access to the classes and distribution of supplies, refunds will not be processed if you cancel your registration in less than 7 days before the start of class.
If your notice of withdrawal or tuition transfer is received at least 7 days before the start of your workshop, you will receive a refund of your workshop payment, minus a $25 processing fee.
Member: Shipped supplies, Member: Curbside pick-up for supplies, Nonmember: Shipped supplies, Nonmember: Curbside pick-up for supplies, 25% Scholarship: Shipped supplies, 25% Scholarship: Curbside pick-up for supplies, 50% Scholarship: Shipped supplies, 50% Scholarship: Curbside pick-up for supplies, 75% Scholarship: Shipped supplies, 75% Scholarship: Curbside pick-up for supplies