A pop-up celebration of thrift and fiber art – located at Textile Center!
Are you an artist, student, maker or DIYer, or simply just love a bargain? With an auditorium stacked with fabric, yarn, patterns, tools, sewing machines, books, notions and more at garage sale prices, the possibilities of what you can create are endless.
Our Garage Sales provide significant financial support for Textile Center programs, bring together artists/makers from across the region, put affordable materials into the hands of makers and nonprofits, and promote reusing, recycling, and repurposing!
HOW TO DONATE MATERIALS
Thursday, October 3, 2019
1– 7 pm
Pull up, pop your trunk, and volunteers will help unload. All donations are tax-deductible; ask for your donation receipt when you drop off. Please donate in recyclable or reusable boxes or tubs.
Are you a business or estate with a huge stash to donate? Call Textile Center, and we can try to accommodate.
HOW TO SHOP
The Preview Sale
Friday, October 4, 2019
6 – 8 pm
$15 nonmembers / $10 members in advance (buy your tickets here!). $20 at the door.
Food, music, festivities, and first dibs on all the goods the Garage Sale has to offer, including the “Oval Room” section of premium merchandise such as sewing machines, looms, high quality yarns and fabrics!
The Big Sale
Saturday, October 5, 2019
9 am – 4 pm
$1 entrance fee, paid at the door.
A plethora of fiber finds, plus the “Oval Room” section of premium merchandise!
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
The Garage Sale is powered by hundreds of volunteers. Help sort, price, and sell items donated by individuals and businesses. We couldn’t do it without you!
Donation Day • Thursday, October 3, 2019
- Donations accepted from 1 – 7 pm
- Volunteer shifts run from 10:45 am until 7:30 pm
- SIGN UP HERE
Preview Sale • Friday, October 4, 2019
Sorting/Pricing & Preview Sale, 6 – 8 pm
Volunteer shifts run from 9 am – 8:30 pm
- SIGN UP HERE
Big Sale • Saturday, October 5, 2019
9 am – 4 pm
Volunteer shifts run from 8 am – 5 pm
(Saturday volunteers are invited to attend the Friday night Preview Sale for free. Their purchases will be held overnight to be picked-up at the end of their Saturday shift.)
- SIGN UP HERE
Please box your donated goods and label with the appropriate category below. DO NOT pre-price your items — our volunteers will do that! If you know the fiber content of your fabric or yarn, please make note, as it will help us more quickly sort goods.
See below for what we accept & don’t accept. Questions? Call Textile Center at 612-436-0464 or email email@example.com.
- Crochet and rug hooks, knitting needles, hoops, scissors, basket reed, cutting mats, rulers
- ONLY if unopened and less than a year old: dyes, paints, pigments, dye and surface design chemicals
Fabric & Batting
- Fabric must be larger than a “fat quarter,” or a one-fourth yard cut that measures roughly 18″ x 21″ (NO SCRAPS!)
- Please roll and tape smaller fabric bundles.
- Mark yardage and fiber content, if known.
- Canvas, needlework tools, kits, beads, embroidery floss & materials
- Buttons, zippers, trims, ribbons, spools of thread, embellishments, sewing needles, etc.
Tools & Machines
- Sewing machines (please include bobbins & cords), knitting machines, sergers, etc.
- Looms (with all parts), spinning wheels
- Tools & machines must be in working condition, with all parts
Unfinished Objects (UFO’s)
- Unfinished projects: knitting, sewing, quilts, kits, etc.
Vintage Fabrics & Trims
Yarn & Roving
- Label with fiber content, if known.
We DO NOT accept…
- NO fabric scraps (Fabric must be larger than a “fat quarter,” or a one-fourth yard cut that measures roughly 18″ x 21″)
- NO finished goods (draperies, curtains, tablecloths, bed linens, etc.)
- NO dirty, moldy or smoke damaged items
- NO broken/non-working machines or tools
- NO magazines, please!
Garage Sale Pop Up FAQ
Can I donate my items before the scheduled donation day?
- Due to limited storage space, we cannot accommodate any donations before the scheduled donation day. Questions? Please contact Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What forms of payment are accepted?
- Cash, check, and credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Discover.)
- Cash is recommended for the Saturday $1 entrance fee.
Why is there a higher ticket price for the Preview Sale?
- The Preview Sale offers first dibs on all items of the Garage Sale, including our “Oval Room” section of premium merchandise! There will be snacks and music as well, making this a fun, exclusive first night of shopping.
What time will the doors open for the Preview Sale?
- Attendees may start lining up outside as early as they’d like, however, we will not allow the line to come inside the building until 30 minutes before the sale begins.
Can I buy tickets at the door?
- You may buy tickets at the door for the Friday evening Preview Sale. Please note that discounted tickets are available by advanced purchase online.
- The Saturday entrance fee of $1 must be paid at the door.
Where do I park?
- Parking Options – we recommend carpooling if possible!
- Lot at 3018 University Ave SE, just two doors east of Textile Center
- Overflow lot at 3300 University Ave SE, just a five min. walk down University
- Hourly street parking along University Ave, Arthur Ave
- Parking on surrounding neighborhood streets – obey parking signs
- Handicap and limited spots directly behind Textile Center at 3000 University Ave SE. (Most spots reserved for loading.)
- Note: University of Minnesota football game day
What other ways can I get to the Textile Garage Sale Pop Up?
- Textile Center is just steps from the Prospect Park Green Line stop, and on bus routes.
- Directions by Bus, Directions by Light Rail (Prospect Park Station)
How does the Textile Garage Sale work?
- Shop – make selections from the wide assortment of fiber art materials and supplies
- Stash – hold your selections in the stash area while you shop more
- Tally – have your selections totaled up on a tally sheet
- Pay – cashiers then process the payment of your tally total
- Load – load out your purchases to your vehicle