The World’s Largest Textile Garage Sale
The 2017 Garage Sale was a smashing success!
We saw 259 staff and volunteers price and sort materials donated by 312 Thursday donators for 151 Preview Sale shoppers and 1,100 Saturday sale shoppers, resulting in more than $63,000 in funds for Textile Center’s exhibition and education programs! Highlights included the new “Oval Room” of premium merchandise and a record-breaking 80 sewing machines donated. THANK YOU for volunteering, donating, and shopping – and keeping tons upon tons of materials out of landfills. See you next year at the University of Minnesota’s ReUse Program Warehouse, April 12 – 14, 2018!
So much more than a garage sale …
Are you an artist, student, crafter, church group, guild doing charity work, or just love a bargain? Here’s how it works: Individuals and businesses donate fabric, yarn, thread, notions, kits, patterns, books, beads, buttons, sewing machines, tools, looms, specialty equipment – a warehouse full of fiber finds! These treasures are then resold at garage sale prices to YOU. Donations are tax deductible, & it all benefits Textile Center’s programs.
Slideshow photos: Rachel LeGrand
HOW TO DONATE MATERIALS
Thursday, April 12 from 10 am to 7 pm • Donation Day
U of M ReUse Warehouse at 883 29th Ave SE, Minneapolis
From Como Ave SE, turn south on 29th Ave East, then right onto Weeks Ave. Look for a large garage door and driveway on your right. Pull up, pop your trunk, and volunteers will help unload. Textile Center is a 501 (c) 3, so all donations are tax-deductible! Ask for your donation receipt when you drop of your items. This is a Zero Waste Event, so please bring your donation in recyclable or reusable boxes or bags.
Are you a business with a huge stash to donate? Are you moving and need to donate your stash before April 20? Call Textile Center and we can try to accommodate.
HOW TO SHOP
Friday, April 13, 6 – 8 pm • The Preview Sale
Beat the crowds, enjoy music from D.J. Rey, and refreshments! The Preview Sale offers the first chance at all the goods the Garage Sale has to offer, including the new “Oval Room” of premium merchandise.
Saturday, April 14, 9 am – 4 pm • The World’s Largest Textile Garage Sale
The “Oval Room” of the Garage Sale includes premium merchandise such as sewing machines, looms, high quality yarns and fabrics.
Bag Sale from 3 – 4 pm. Everything must go! All you can stuff into a bag (paper grocery-sized) for $5. If it doesn’t fit, it’s 50% off!
The Garage Sale is a zero waste event; please BYOBag!
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
Over 200 volunteers sort, price, and sell the donated items – we couldn’t do it without you!
Take a look at the volunteer job descriptions.
Friends of the Garage Sale
Preserving and advancing the arts of weaving, spinning, and dyeing.
The University of Minnesota is not endorsing or sponsoring the activities conducted by Textile Center on the University of Minnesota campus. The relationship between the University of Minnesota and Textile Center is solely that of licensor and licensee.
- Price in whole dollar amounts only.
- Use permanent ink to clearly mark prices on stickers or tape and fasten securely.
- Consider the item’s age and condition and assign a value approximately 25% to 50% of the original cost. If you know the fiber content and yardage, include it on your label.
- Do NOT price patterns.
- Package or bundle your small items. Place ribbons, buttons, or fabric scraps larger than a fat quarter in a securely sealed, clear plastic bag then price them all together.
- sewing & crafting notions, thread, buttons
- needles, crochet hooks, & crafting tools
- books related to sewing, knitting, crafting
- sewing machines – please include spool(s) of thread if your machine is threaded up
- knitting machines
- weaving looms
- needlework tools & materials
- trims, ribbons, embellishments
- felt, wool fleece
- ONLY if unopened and less than a year old: dyes, paints, pigments, dye and surface design chemicals
We do not accept…
- finished goods (clothing, bed linens, etc)
- magazines – please contact our librarian in advance before donating magazines at 612-436-0464 or email@example.com
- fabric scraps smaller than a fat quarter
- dirty, moldy or smoke damaged items